Author Topic: ANY SUZUKI SHOGUN 125 sp/rr RIDERS?  (Read 4875 times)

Offline seann1991

• Lesen L
ANY SUZUKI SHOGUN 125 sp/rr RIDERS?
« on: April 29, 2010, 02:25:45 am »
i just bought this bike not long ago, and i feeel no powerr in it, need advise on modifying thankss

Offline fozan

• Lesen P
  • ride with the wind of change
Re: ANY SUZUKI SHOGUN 125 sp/rr RIDERS?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2010, 08:26:45 am »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
i just bought this bike not long ago, and i feeel no powerr in it, need advise on modifying thankss
seann1991..u should check out our site...
suzuki shogun in suzuki bikes directory...there u could find many info..
one thing that u should take note of...shogun is not a bike meant for speed..its a bike meant for the pleasure of riding..
but theres some of our friends have revealed the secret of da bike...it can reaches to 160 or maybe 180..
one more thing..shogun bikes have error on its meter...if da bike is 110..u r at the same speed as lc speeding at 130...20kmh error
in reading..
feel free to check out our site... (^,^)

Offline honda-nighthawk

• Lesen B2
  • The Forgotten One is free from all bonds
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2010, 06:21:26 pm »
one thing that u should take note of...shogun is not a bike meant for speed..its a bike meant for the pleasure of riding..
feel free to check out our site... (^,^)

"Shogun.... "it is a bike meant for the pleasure of riding"."

Could you please care to explain in greater detail regarding that statement?

The handling is superb(no vibration at the handlebars at all, goes obediently where your hands tell it to go)?
The seat is comfortable?
The cornering is stable like you can knee the tarmac without fear?
Maintenance is minimal?
It hardly gives mechanical problems, either in its chassis or engine (bullet-proof)?
U can go three-five hours without feeling tired?
It doesn't shake that much when caught in the cross-winds of lorries and buses?
The suspensions make small potholes irrelevent?
The grip on the street is superb?
The sound of the exhaust is music to your ears?

------------------
The forgotten one rides indeed for the pleasures of freedom.

Offline fozan

• Lesen P
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2010, 06:53:43 pm »
"Shogun.... "it is a bike meant for the pleasure of riding"."

Could you please care to explain in greater detail regarding that statement?

The handling is superb(no vibration at the handlebars at all, goes obediently where your hands tell it to go)?
The seat is comfortable?
Maintenance is minimal?
It hardly gives mechanical problems, either in its chassis or engine (bullet-proof)?

------------------
The forgotten one rides indeed for the pleasures of freedom.

-yup..there will be no vibration thanks for shogun engine balancing system..

The seat is comfortable?
-in my opinion yes..the seat is quite comfortable compared to other seat...

-depends on ur skill..but suzuki's bike is known for its bad suspension system..
even i had changed it by using monza double spring absorber..

Maintenance is minimal?
-yup..only change your engine oil and oil filter and all should be well..

-suzuki's bike is designed to withstand long wear..u can ask any bikes mechanic and ask them..
what bike that's rarely come to be repaired its engine..
the answer will definitely be..suzuki's bike..

-its impossible for anyone to go 3-5 hours on bike without feeling tired..
but i did not feel that tired when riding my shogun for long distance ride..
me n my fren ivan used to went penang all the way from kl in one day..
it depends on ur toughness...

-yup..it doesn't shake that much..because in comparison with lc..
shogun is 1 kg much heavier than lc..

-suzuki's suspension is bad...;(

-depends on ur tire lol...

-shogun is given special chance to be equip with yoshimura muffler system or standard one..
surely a musical to your ear..

u should try to know the difference..shogun is not the same as other bike..
it put itself in a new class..

Offline Abg Acid

• Storm Riders
  • Bike Tour Advisor. Location : Muar Malaysia.
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2010, 08:49:09 pm »
I have a shogun too. The SP with cltuch lever.

What I found?
Smooth engine, with very minimal vibrations on almost all components. The handlebars, footrest. But with the long rear wiew mirror stems, it does collect some vibrations, rendering the view on the mirror quite uselsss on higher speeds.

Smooth and positive gear changes. Fairly good gearbox I think. The pick up speed is good too on the lower range, but once it hits 90kmh, the power declines as fast as falling rain and it wont go faster than 110kmh. And you have to wait ages for it to pick up the momentum to get to 110kmh. No matter how low you bend your head, or squeeze that throttle to its very end stretch, it wont bother to budge. It will stay at 110 and maybe less few minutes later. I think if someone can manage a top speed of 160kmh or 180km, then he must be dreaming.

Braking power is impressive, thanks to its large diameter disc up front. Even at rear, a disch brake is installed too. I dont think it really need a rear disc.

Seat? Its  one of the most uncomfortable ones. Its simply too stiff. I think the foam/sponge is simply too hard. Suzuki should change to a more soft and pliable ones. After an hour on the saddle one can get a sore butt.
Wind in your hair, flies on your teeth! Yeah, thats what travel on a motorcycle is all about.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login   .Tel +6019 6588 402

Offline fozan

• Lesen P
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2010, 12:14:07 am »
I have a shogun too. The SP with cltuch lever.

What I found?
Smooth engine, with very minimal vibrations on almost all components. The handlebars, footrest. But with the long rear wiew mirror stems, it does collect some vibrations, rendering the view on the mirror quite uselsss on higher speeds.

Smooth and positive gear changes. Fairly good gearbox I think. The pick up speed is good too on the lower range, but once it hits 90kmh, the power declines as fast as falling rain and it wont go faster than 110kmh. And you have to wait ages for it to pick up the momentum to get to 110kmh. No matter how low you bend your head, or squeeze that throttle to its very end stretch, it wont bother to budge. It will stay at 110 and maybe less few minutes later. I think if someone can manage a top speed of 160kmh or 180km, then he must be dreaming.

Braking power is impressive, thanks to its large diameter disc up front. Even at rear, a disch brake is installed too. I dont think it really need a rear disc.

Seat? Its  one of the most uncomfortable ones. Its simply too stiff. I think the foam/sponge is simply too hard. Suzuki should change to a more soft and pliable ones. After an hour on the saddle one can get a sore butt.
abg acid i dnt know u have one..he2..
yup..i agrees with most of the thing u said..
the gearing system is good..but sometimes there will be clutch slip incidence happening...
i think fairly most of shogun had experience of it..

ive rode most of the 125cc bike n shogun's pickup is quite good for 4 stroke system..
gear 1,2,3 is fairly impressive but when it reaches gear 4..the pickup stops..its the same as suzuki belang..
the last gear will try to maintain the speed n slowly increase the top speed..

shogun braking is also good..it saved my life many times..
an interesting fact..as far as i know..
shogun is the first 125 cc 4 stroke bike that is equip with front and rear disk brake..

shogun reaching top speed of 160 and 180 is not a dream anymore abg acid...
my friend has achieved the dream..but he spend A LOT on reaching it..
he modified it the same as cub prix specification..

Offline Abg Acid

• Storm Riders
  • Bike Tour Advisor. Location : Muar Malaysia.
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2010, 01:07:27 pm »
the gearing system is good..but sometimes there will be clutch slip incidence happening...
i think fairly most of shogun had experience of it..

clutch slippage?.. Thats serious. Better get your shogun to Suzuki service dept, and have them rectified.
I dont have problems with clutch at at all. Be sure you dont put in fully synthetic oil, especially the ones with frictions modifiers. It actually make the clutch too smooth and thus clutch slips occurs.

yeah, besides my other bikes, I have 3 cubs. The Xcite130, Wave100r and that shogun sp. I thus can make comparisons on the cubs. The wave 100r has the most vibrations.

AA

« Last Edit: April 30, 2010, 01:11:30 pm by Abg Acid »
Wind in your hair, flies on your teeth! Yeah, thats what travel on a motorcycle is all about.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login   .Tel +6019 6588 402

Offline ivan7

• Lesen B2
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2010, 01:11:03 pm »
clutch slippage?.. Thats serious. Better get your shogun to Suzuki service dept, and have them rectified.
I dont have problems with clutch at at all. Be sure you dont put in fully synthetic oil, especially the ones with frictions modifiers. It actually make the clutch too smooth and thus clutch slips occurs.

AA

AA,u dont have problem with your clutch?thats good,because many suzuki shpgun owner face this problem,the only way to fix this problem is to change your clutch spring to the harder 1
for shogun RR,use 125z cutch spring but need to modify abit
for shogun SP,use RX-Z clutch spring,no need to modify

Offline ivan7

• Lesen B2
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2010, 01:14:27 pm »
Sean,if u need advise on modifying your bike,u should join us at
there are many tips to modifying your bike,some can reach 160km/h
mine can reach 140km/h
hope to c u there bro

Offline Budak Kangaq(eDi)

• Lesen P
  • Team SUZUKI.. Jalan2 Cari Kawan.
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2010, 01:20:06 pm »
I really really agree with Fozan..

I am the SUZUKI big Fan.. before I have SUZUKI GSX 110.. 12 years I am Used it..
I never overhaul the engine. the engine of SUZUKI bike is very unbelieveable.

from Perlis to Johor.. the bike is never give problem to me include Shogun RR bike..
i just worried only the tyre.. hehehehe.. SUZUKI is the best..

I am a Long Ride Rider.. Solo Rider. Perlis to KL.. KL to Johor with SUZUKI bikes..

"SUZUKI Shogun.... "it is a bike meant for the pleasure of riding"."
aku bukan kaki bodek.. hahaha..

Offline sarjantulang

• Lesen Antarabangsa
  • Petro Canada Engine Oil
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2010, 03:05:06 pm »
salam,

Suzuki Shogun SP/RR = Slow, headache, not crisp, asthma and equivalent with it.....(just think what is it)

;D ;D ;D

just accept it....me??hmm....i dont prefer my friends to bought it...better go for LC, Lagenda, Wave, Belang and so on... ::) ::) ::) ::) ;D ;D ;D ;D

sarjantulang

Offline myms

• Lesen B2
  • motor semput ku
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2010, 04:00:14 pm »
if u want speed...shogun suppose not in ur list...but now u already have it...so put away the negative n think positive...

u suppose read our thread before open this...there many answer u will get if u read...and many senior will answer any ur question...

we are riders not "mat rempit"...we are brother here...n safety first!!! before u think speed...
Updated!!! 8/10/2011
Jaket Mesh IZ2 size M = beli RM250 nk tolak RM130 je!!!

Offline fozan

• Lesen P
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2010, 11:51:08 pm »
if u want speed...shogun suppose not in ur list...but now u already have it...so put away the negative n think positive...

u suppose read our thread before open this...there many answer u will get if u read...and many senior will answer any ur question...

we are riders not "mat rempit"...we are brother here...n safety first!!! before u think speed...
yup..its true..if u want ridiculous speed..then forget shogun..
what do u expect from a 125 cc..sohc 4 stroke engine...

Offline Rab56

• Baru Daftar
  • Suzuki - Way of Life!
    • Suzuki - my way of life
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2010, 09:14:26 pm »
I don't ride a Shogun (we can't buy them over here) but I do have a Suzuki FL125 Address. It's nearly the same bike except it has a drum rear brake, non-mag wheels and is fuel injected. The front disc brake is of a different design too. I didn't buy it for speed: if I want to go fast I'll ride my other bike.
Fozan is correct about the suspension: it's under-damped! Maybe a heavier grade of oil will help.
The engine is smooth for a single cylinder but the mirrors do vibrate a little.
Sean1991 could tune the engine for more power, but if he's not happy with the speed and power then he should consider selling it and buying a bigger bike. I'm sure a good engine tuner could double the horsepower but the engine would lose reliability and it would be difficult to ride around town as all the torque and power would be at the high end of the engine revs....and of course it all costs money!
Usually the cheapest, quickest and most reliable way to get more power is to change the exhaust system, fit a K&N air-filter or similar and re-jet the carburettor.
Look on the bright side Sean1991 - you've got a lovely bike and it's much better than taking the bus!
« Last Edit: June 11, 2010, 09:24:04 pm by Rab56 »

Offline fozan

• Lesen P
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2010, 07:57:39 am »
I don't ride a Shogun (we can't buy them over here) but I do have a Suzuki FL125 Address. It's nearly the same bike except it has a drum rear brake, non-mag wheels and is fuel injected. The front disc brake is of a different design too. I didn't buy it for speed: if I want to go fast I'll ride my other bike.
Fozan is correct about the suspension: it's under-damped! Maybe a heavier grade of oil will help.
The engine is smooth for a single cylinder but the mirrors do vibrate a little.
Sean1991 could tune the engine for more power, but if he's not happy with the speed and power then he should consider selling it and buying a bigger bike. I'm sure a good engine tuner could double the horsepower but the engine would lose reliability and it would be difficult to ride around town as all the torque and power would be at the high end of the engine revs....and of course it all costs money!
Usually the cheapest, quickest and most reliable way to get more power is to change the exhaust system, fit a K&N air-filter or similar and re-jet the carburettor.
Look on the bright side Sean1991 - you've got a lovely bike and it's much better than taking the bus!
rab56..were ur come from...hoho..ur using the injection system shogun..its not in malaysia yet...

Offline Rab56

• Baru Daftar
  • Suzuki - Way of Life!
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2010, 07:59:49 pm »
rab56..were ur come from...hoho..ur using the injection system shogun..its not in malaysia yet...

I live in Scotland Fozan. Most 4 stroke engines over here are now fuel injected. It's not for more speed - it's just to reduce exhaust emissions (save the world from global warming....on a 125?).

If you go to   You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login    you can see some photos of my Suzuki FL125 Address.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2010, 09:34:37 pm by Rab56 »

Offline fozan

• Lesen P
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2010, 10:58:50 pm »
I live in Scotland Fozan. Most 4 stroke engines over here are now fuel injected. It's not for more speed - it's just to reduce exhaust emissions (save the world from global warming....on a 125?).

If you go to   You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login    you can see some photos of my Suzuki FL125 Address.
i've visited ur site..nice bike u have there... ;D
i noticed that your FL125 meter panel is indicated in MPH...never seen that before.. ;D
our FL125 meter panel are denoted in KM/H...so far...it can only reaches 120 kmh.... :'( :'(

Offline Rab56

• Baru Daftar
  • Suzuki - Way of Life!
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2010, 12:43:33 am »
i've visited ur site..nice bike u have there... ;D
i noticed that your FL125 meter panel is indicated in MPH...never seen that before.. ;D
our FL125 meter panel are denoted in KM/H...so far...it can only reaches 120 kmh.... :'( :'(

120kph! That's 10kph faster than me and I had to slip-stream a truck on the highway to manage that!
But I don't mind because I didn't buy the bike for speed. Yesterday I went for a ride along narrow country roads with lots of tight corners. Although I was not riding fast, it brought me great pleasure. That to me is what riding a bike is all about - having fun! :)
I really like the wheels on your bike. What tyres (tires) do you use and are they tubeless? 
When I first saw the Shogun on the Malaysian Suzuki site, I thought the rear disc brake was just a gimmick.
However, after riding my FL125 I was surprised at much more I was using the rear brake compared to a "normal" bike.
Unlike my other Suzuki, the rear brake on the FL125 actually helps to slow you down!
You have ridden many different bikes Fozen, so please tell me do you find a big difference between a rear disc brake and a rear drum brake on a "back-bone" design bike?

Offline fozan

• Lesen P
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2010, 09:46:17 am »
120kph! That's 10kph faster than me and I had to slip-stream a truck on the highway to manage that!
But I don't mind because I didn't buy the bike for speed. Yesterday I went for a ride along narrow country roads with lots of tight corners. Although I was not riding fast, it brought me great pleasure. That to me is what riding a bike is all about - having fun! :)
I really like the wheels on your bike. What tyres (tires) do you use and are they tubeless? 
When I first saw the Shogun on the Malaysian Suzuki site, I thought the rear disc brake was just a gimmick.
However, after riding my FL125 I was surprised at much more I was using the rear brake compared to a "normal" bike.
Unlike my other Suzuki, the rear brake on the FL125 actually helps to slow you down!
You have ridden many different bikes Fozen, so please tell me do you find a big difference between a rear disc brake and a rear drum brake on a "back-bone" design bike?
yup...shogun( FL125) is really meant for the pleasure of riding...
it really da bike for travelling because its has balancing system in its engine that reduces vibration,,thus more comfortable riding..
 :D :D
im really active in convoy activities..been to many places...in less than a year..
my mileage had already reaches 3x xxx... ;D ;D
so im using megastone tyres..it can last longer n grip much better..yes..it is a tubeless tyre....
its better if u use tubeless one because if ur tyre run on a nail on the road..
the tyre can still be used..unlike tube tyre...any slight puncture is enough to make u annoyed..hahaha ;) ;)
rear brake disk system and rear brake drum system really pose a big difference to me..
i prefer disk system because it can give more braking than drum system n u dont have to press hardly to stop..
just a minimum force on ur brake is enough to stop..this is really important because ive modified my bike so that my bike can reaches more speed and if im using a drum system...i surely dont have have enough time to brake..especially in emergency cases..:police: :police:
but..disk system also have its downside... :'( :'(
its need to be always maintained its condition..any mistake on assembling can make it jammed and send u flying... :o :o
one more thing..its breaking system is less effective when its rainy...the rain droplet will stick to the disk surface n reducing the friction between the disk and the brake pads... :-\ :-\
but in my opinion, its still better than the drum system... ;D ;D

Offline Rab56

• Baru Daftar
  • Suzuki - Way of Life!
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2010, 04:58:31 pm »
one more thing..its breaking system is less effective when its rainy...the rain droplet will stick to the disk surface n reducing the friction between the disk and the brake pads... :-\ :-\
but in my opinion, its still better than the drum system... ;D ;D
[/quote]

Fozan - thanks for the information on your tyres! :) :)
I have looked for bike mag wheels over here but they are all too wide.  :( :(
So I think I will have to keep my spoked wheels and IRC tyres for a while yet and then when I have some spare money I will buy and import some "Racing Boy" wheels with tube tyres.
I do worry about punctures. With a tubeless tyre, a puncture is easily repaired with the small kits that you can buy (rubber plugs, glue and CO2 to re-inflate the tyre). But a puncture in a tubed tyre is a lot of hard work!
Have you tried sintered pads for your disc brakes?
They work well in both wet and dry. :) :)
I know there are many races for "under-bones" in Malaysia and I also know it can rain very heavily in Malaysia too, so I'm sure that there must be a brake pad manufacturer who makes sintered pads for the men who race.